Important things to consider!
Adopting an animal is an important decision. Caring for an animal requires a long-term commitment – up to 20 years! Here are some things to think about before adopting a furry friend:
- Do you have the budget for food, litter, ongoing vaccinations and any necessary medical treatments?
- Do you have time at home to interact with your pet?
- Do you have other animals at home?
- Do you have babies or small children at home?
- Do you have permission from your landlord?
Every year we place over 400 animals in loving homes. Read some of our success stories and see the positive impact Furry Friends makes for animals and those who love them.
What’s the process?
1. Visit us to select your new pet
Our friendly volunteers can show you the animals that are waiting to be adopted into a ‘forever’ home and help you make a selection that suits your lifestyle. Thankfully, most cats are quickly adopted into loving homes, but there are always new furry friends patiently waiting their turn to find life-long companions.
Furry Friends Animal Shelter:
25 Hart Drive, Unit 15, Barrie
Shelter Hours (open to public):
Mondays: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. AND 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Tuesdays: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.*
Wednesdays: 11:00 a.m – 1:00 p.m. AND 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Thursdays: 11:0 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. AND 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Fridays: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. AND 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon *
Sundays: 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. *
*We have no trained adoption volunteers on our 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. evening shifts on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, though we welcome anyone who wants to drop-in to drop-off donations for the kitties!
IMPORTANT: Furry Friends has no paid staff. Whenever possible, please contact us in advance to set up an appointment so that we can ensure one of our authorized adoption volunteers will be there to meet with you. We encourage you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For two weeks every month we also adopt cats and kittens out of PetSmart, 33 Mapleview Drive East, Barrie.
Adoption hours: Monday – Saturday, 9:00 am – 9:00 pm and
Sunday, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
We also adopt our cats from two PetValu locations: 165 Wellington Street West and 632 Yonge Street in Barrie. PetValu is open from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
2. Complete and sign an Application to Adopt form.
If approved, you will be asked to sign an Animal Adoption Contract and pay a $170 fee (cash only).
This fee covers the costs involved in preparing animals for adoption:
- All animals are spayed/neutered.
- All animals are microchipped.
- Any illnesses are treated before adoption. You will receive a copy of the animal’s medical chart.
- All cats have at least one set of vaccinations (Feline Rhinotracheitis, Calici Virus and Panleukopenia) and have been treated for fleas, ear mites and common parasites. Kittens require vaccinations at 4-6 week intervals. All animals must have a rabies shot by 4 months.before they are adopted and have their shots and rabies vaccinations.